I’ve never been fond of banana pudding, and I’m not crazy about bananas unless they are with peanut butter.
When I saw a recipe for Peanut Butter-Banana Cream Pie in the January issue of Southern Living, it seemed like a perfect combination. And guess what? It was, and it you like bananas and peanut butter, you’ll want to try it for sure!
- Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie
- 22 Peanut Butter cookies (I used nutter butter)
- 1/2 c. dry roasted peanuts
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. corn starch
- 2 c. half & half
- 3 T. butter
- 2 T. creamy peanut butter
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Process cookies and peanuts in a food processor about 1 minute or until finely chopped. Stir together cookie mixture and melted butter. Press crumb mixture on bottom and up sides of a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely.
- Whisk together granulated sugar and cornstarch in a large, heavy saucepan. Whisk together half-and-half and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk half-and-half mixture into sugar mixture, and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until thickened remove from heat. (using low fat milk too longer)
- Stir butter, peanut butter, and 1 t. vanilla into sugar mixture. Place heavy-duty plastic wrap directly on warm custard (to prevent a film from forming), and cool 30 minutes. We moved the mixture to a glass bowl to allow it to cool faster.
- Cut bananas into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place in a single layer on bottom of crust, covering bottom completely.
- Spoon custard mixture over bananas; cover and chill 4 to 48 hours.
- Beat cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar and remaining 1 t. vanilla, beating until soft peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream mixture. Serve immediately, or chill up to 4 hours.
I added a little something extra to the recipe. Since Biscoff is my new favorite food, I thought it would be tasty with the peanut butter and bananas. I melted about 1/3 cup in the microwave and poured it over the bananas before adding the custard. It was a perfect addition.
i so appreciate your visit and the comments you leave behind